6.20.2012

Fresh Ink

I've not been doing very well at keeping up the blog these days, so many things to do these days! I'm sorry I neglect you, blog. I'm sorry!

With the end of the school semester I've been working full force at Project Pepperpot, the comic collaboration I've mentioned in the past with Anna-Maria Jung and Daniel Scribner. The comic is going great, though my speed at inking is a bit slower than I would like to admit. At this point I've just finished inking page 28, Anna-Maria is miles ahead in the pencils, and Dan is doing an amazing job in giving us a complex script full of silly jokes, action and loads of adventure.

Now, those who know me (or who have seen pictures of me, at least) know that along with art, I am also quite fond of getting tattoos, I have several large color pieces and am always looking for more. I'm also usually trying to invite my non tattooed friends to experience this very permanent art form; "It's magical!" "You'll get addicted" "It totally doesn't hurt" - these are the things I tell them, all of which are true.

I've never felt so positive about a project before, I do really love working as part of a team. Anna-Maria and I work great together, and I'm really having sooo much fun - so much fun, in fact, that I suggested we get a tattoo together to commemorate how terrific the project looks so far - and lucky for me she agreed!

We went decided to try East Side Ink, a lovely tattoo shop on the LES on Ave. B, between 6th and 7th. I had never been to this particular shop before, but it had some great reviews and a really wonderful portfolio of work for all of its artists. I had the honor of being inked by Mark Harada, and Anna-Maria was tattooed by Kristi Walls (you can find her portfolio on the ESInk website), both wonderful artists and super nice people like everyone at ESI (seriously, go check them out if you're in the area and looking for some sweet tattoos).

The design we chose is a symbol representing the the city of Acco, where our comic takes place. I had made this design as part of the concept work a few months ago, and we decided this would be best as our tattoo design.

Pre tattoo anticipatory excitement!
Anna-Maria is prepped and ready for a needling!
See? It totally doesn't hurt!
Pain? What pain? I eat pain for breakfast. With bananas.
This is our edgy action shot of me getting inked.
Anna-Maria got her tattoo in black and white, looks AWESOME!
I went for color, I love color! This took just over and hour.
Post tattoo drinks and food at Stand4. 
And there you have it! Another of my friends is brought into the fold of tattooed people! Now theres just the waiting for the tattoo to heal, today I'm definitely a little sore, but the pain is always worth it in the end.

Want to keep up with what's happening on the comic? Along with our Pepperchronicles website (which has lots of behind the scenes art!) you can also get updates on our Facebook fan page - why don't you go and follow us already?!

No comments: